Regardless of your take on the usefulness or appropriateness of the sign, it is an important reminder. Satan really does hate the church. Paul makes it clear in Ephesians 6:12 that Christians, individually and collectively, are involved in a spiritual battle with satanic forces of darkness. Satan is doing all he can to impede the progress of God's people. He would love nothing more than to destroy the church. He hatefully employs several tactics in his assault on the church.
- Satan promotes false doctrine to destroy the church (1 Timothy 4:1; Revelation 2:24).
- Satan promotes immorality to destroy the church (1 Timothy 5:15; Revelation 2:20).
- Satan promotes pride to destroy the church, especially among its leaders (1 Timothy 3:6-7).
- Satan promotes hypocrisy to destroy the church (Acts 5:1-11).
- Satan promotes persecution to destroy the church (Revelation 2:10; 3:13).
Yes, Satan hates Christians and the church. He is powerful. He does assault us and afflict us in many ways. However, we must remember that the church will triumph over the devil because of the victory of Jesus. We have known since the beginning of the conflict that Satan would bruise the heel of our Substitute. But we have also known that the bruised heel would ultimately crush the head of our enemy (Genesis 3:15). We know that God will crush Satan under the feet of His church (Romans 16:20).
We do well to remember the encouraging words of Luther:
And tho' this world with devils filled, Should threaten to undo us;
We will not fear for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us.
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him;
His rage we can endure for lo, his doom is sure.
One little word shall fell him.